Saturday, June 6, 2009

3,800 miles in 7 days - day 2

Today was one of those faith building days. One of those days where I have to keep saying that God has a plan for me and maybe he's using this experience to teach me something. One of those days where I say whatever doesn't kill me only makes me stronger!!!

For starters, this job is stressful. And I don't sleep well when I'm stressed, so I have that going against me. I don't drink coffee or caffeine because that makes me have to pee and we're on the road for up to 4 hours at a time without stopping today. Although today we had an unexpected stop. We were driving down the I-90 just minutes away from South Dakota when somebody on the bus yelled, "Aaron, you need to pull over". I look in my mirror to see a billow of smoke coming from the back of the bus. With a few choice words and some mad bus driver skills, the bus is pulled along side the interstate and the group is evacuating to the shoulder of the road. I grabbed the fire extinguiser and head to the back where we discover the problem. An amp (or energy converter??...something that runs off the battery that you can plug AC power cords into) had fried. Wires melted, sparks flying, the whole works. I guess we were lucky that we killed the power in time and the sparks didn't spread to anything else. After some phone calls and investigating the situation further, the situation was resolved, and we re-loaded the bus and headed to the next city, where there was a mechanic waiting for us. He capped off the wires and said we were good to go as long as we didn't use the amp anymore - I said no problem! Oh did I mention that while the group was evacuated it was raining outside? We were about 1/2 mile past a rest area so they all took off for that. This kind of stuff stresses me out, so it was a long day. But there's a saying that goes "eat that frog" (or something like that). It means that if you woke up every morning and ate a frog, it would be the worst thing that happened to you all day. (If that doesn't make sense, it's because I'm tired!) Anyways, what I'm getting at is that today's problem was our "frog" for the week, so it's clear sailing from here on out...only 6 more days of this! Pray for me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad they caught the problem and fixed it! I hope you don't have any more frogs this week :) I love you and you'll be home soon!

    ReplyDelete